If you are a regular reader of this blog, you might have noticed that I have not been writing about my metal work for a few weeks and so now I will tell you why.
Many of you do know that I have a day job - I am Senior Software Engineer and I am currently working on a big project for the United States Navy. Back in February, one of the other software engineers (and I use that term loosely) left the project leaving 3 full time developer/engineers, a full time Oracle DBA and a full time technical lead who is also a DBA and software engineer but being the technical lead he only does part time DBA work and very little coding. When said person left, we divided the module he had been responsible for between all of us. I took 5, the other full time developers also took 4 or 5. Then the full time DBA and the tech lead each took one as well.
I then looked at the code in the modules I had taken responsibility for - and what a horrible mess. He had not used the framework that had been built and was being used by everyone else, did not follow the UI standards and oh so much more which I won't rant on about for at least two hours of reading. And lets just say that the client had already complained that the UI in the modules was different.
For me (and everyone else) to maintain this code was going to be a nightmare. I felt that the only way to maintain it and to make the UI conform to the standards was to rewrite it. Which is what I have been doing for the past month - not just during my slack time during the week but on weekends as well. Along the way I have found many bugs that he introduced and have been since corrected as well. I have kept track of the time and so far it has been over 160 hours to rewrite all 5 modules. They are now on the testing server and I expect a few bugs and other tweaks will found that I will have to fix before the modules can be released to production in May or June.
The other developers have not started their rewrites but they now know the pain, suffering and TIME they will experience.
For me - I can now return to my metal work and not have this hanging over my head. There has been one advantage to this break is that I have a new stack of ideas...