When we moved into the new house, the area for my studio was unfinished and we just stacked the boxes around the floor. In the small area where the back door and the windows are, I set up my office. In the open closet we put some wire shelves, we found in the storage room, up and I cut some wire out so I could make a hammer rack. We also setup the soldering station, the polishing and grinding station, my workbench and the old kitchen table so I had a place to work.
But I didn't. I found it was just too difficult to find things since stuff was in boxes.
And to build out the studio was going to take cash, and we were money tight as a result of the move; so I waited.
A year went buy and money was saved and I could finally consider the construction on the studio. Now we had to find someone to do it. We decided to look at some new homes under construction in the area, as a way to find a builder who's work we liked; and we did. After a few discussions and a walk through the mess of a studio, we finally took measurements, got a quote, paid our money and scheduled a start date of just after New Year's.
With a date set, we now had to take all the boxes and move them from the studio area and into the office area, move the stakes and stake stand, put the hammers away, take down the polishing and grinding station and move the soldering station away from where the cabinets would be installed. The shop elf then put risers on the outlets, that would be covered by the cabinets and installed new outlets above where the cabinet back splash would end.
Construction took 2 months because Roger, our guy, was only working on it on weekends, while he worked on the spec house he was building during the week. His son Alex, was his shop elf and the two of them made a great team.
As you can see from the picture series below, the cabinets were installed, leveled, painted, drawers and doors hung, counter tops installed, and handles put on. Roger also demo'd the extra walls from the closet to open it up and put a second shelf in so I have extra storage for hammer and stake related items. He also assisted in the installation of the polisher and grinder, on the counter top.
All was finished last weekend, and I can now start unpacking and organizing everything. I am going to raid The Container Store for large and small tubs that I can put things into - that starts next week.