This week and this post is about completing the first of three book cover projects - the covers having a chased and repoussed (sp?) panel.
Back in May I made a book cover prototype with a ginkgo leaf on it. In July, I bought some more "pocket" books and started to work up the templates to cut the leather for 4 different sizes/types. I then cut more leather, sewed them and made sure the books fit in the covers. Along the way, since then I received a request for 3 covers and I worked up the designs for them but since things got crazy with the day job and then the trip to Nechamkin Silver Studios, a couple of private classes I was asked to give and not a lot of progress was being made on the book covers.
I was able to finish the first panel about 3 weeks ago and so I set aside this weekend (Thanksgiving) to finish the first book. First I had to trim up the panel and drill the holes for the rivets. I did a bit more polishing to clean up the clean up. Next up was to cut the leather and dye it and let it dry. Yesterday I was able to rivet the panel to the front of the book, stamp my makers mark on the leather, sew the end flaps and fit the book. 1 down, 2 more to go.