And to that end I figured it is time to start my Red-Oxide experiments.
Two weeks ago, in a Facebook re-sale group, I found a used kiln. I had been searching for one as using a kiln with a temperature controller will help me refine the process and do more test. The one I found is a Rio SL2 wich can heat to 2000 degrees F (much higher than I need) with a vent hole, temperature controller with 5 PMC presets and 4 that I can set myself; it runs on 110 volts and 14 amps so I can use a regular household circuit. It arrived yesterday and this morning I unpacked it.
Then I went to Rio and ordered a boat load of 1.5" 18g copper disks and a spatula, and trivets. Once these items arrive I can start the experiments.
In the mean time, I am going to take my pyrometer and check the calibration of the temperature controller; I will put the thermister into the oven via the vent hole, close the door and using some of the PMC presets, verify that the temperatures I am seeing on the pyrometer display match up to what is on the kiln read out. I will do the temperature calibrations next weekend. Stay tuned for those results.
Here is the kiln.