I did think it was cool that she was asking me. I don't know who else was asked but hey, if someone from the other side of the pond wants to ask me questions about I started, who am I to argue. Plus I find it interesting that part of a class has the students asking other silversmiths or any artist some questions to how others got started.
I won't share my responses, I think you can figure them out yourself - especially if your read this blog. But I thought you would like to see the questions asked.
FdA Silversmithing and Jewellery - Work based Learning module.
Questions for the Craftsman
- How do you start? what was your education?
- How did your education fit you for a career in the industry?
- What was missing?
- Do you still do any courses?
- How did you start?
- What kind of finance did you have?
- Did you receive any help? (grants etc)
- What kind of workshop do you have?
- What specialist equipment do you use?
- Do you recommend a certain piece of equipment?
- What does your typical working day involve?
- What (if any) special techniques do you employ?
- Do you subcontract out any technical work? (casting, stone setting, plating)
- How do you catalogue your work?
- How do you photograph your work?
- What kind of personal advertising do you have?(leaflets, post cards, web presence)
- How have you worked out the costs for pricing your work?
- How do you sell your work?
- Do you work to commission?
- If so how do you conduct the commission process?
- Do you exhibit?
- Where do you exhibit?
- How did you get into the gallery, craft fair etc
- What advice do you have for someone starting out.