Today I got back to that design and I made my prototype, I made the dish, planished it, and then added a ring base. I had to go back a planish again since the soldering annealed the piece again (note to self: invent way to solder a base onto a vessel and NOT have the piece get annealed).
My solder job was only so-so, I was afraid of too much solder and ended up not using enough and now I have some gaps. I have to work on this more but for my sample I am ok with there being some gaps in the solder joint between the ring and the bowl.
After a good cleaning I added a patina.
Now I have to make a production piece out of silver and copper and in many sizes...I am calling it 'Dish-J'